Portobello Road to be upgraded in £4.4m overhaul
Portobello Road is set for a £4.4m upgrade and overhaul after Kensington and Chelsea councillors approved plans to modernise the high street, with works scheduled to begin in January 2027. The decision follows years of debate over safety and flooding on the west London street and marks a significant public investment in its infrastructure.
The scheme will see pavements upgraded, lighting improved and new greenery introduced along the road, which runs through Notting Hill and has featured in films including Notting Hill and Paddington. Dropped kerbs for wheelchair users and additional parking bays are also planned, while existing anti-terror barriers will be replaced with sliding bollards.
More Kensington & Chelsea news from EyeOnLondon
Borough reporting on transport, housing and community developments.
Work on Albert Bridge to finish by Friday 20th
Final phases of maintenance works near completion as traffic restrictions are set to be lifted.
Read the full reportBarlby new homes site allows apprentices to build careers
Construction scheme highlights skills training and employment opportunities linked to new housing delivery.
Read the full reportAlbert Bridge was closed to vehicles
Temporary closure affected drivers as structural and safety assessments were carried out.
Read the full reportThe council said the funding would come from the Community Infrastructure Levy, collected from developers, and that no money would be diverted from other services to pay for the project.
Flood mitigation and street redesign
As part of the redesign, the authority will introduce a flood mitigation system known as Hydrorock. The system uses underground tree pits and absorbent materials to hold water and slow its flow into drains.
Trial holes are due to be dug to determine how the measures will operate beneath the street. The area experienced significant flooding in 2021, which damaged homes and businesses.
Johnny Thalassites, lead member for environment and planning, said addressing flood risk was central to the project.
“Addressing the flood risk is imperative to this area, following devastating floods back in 2021 which damaged homes and property,” he said.
“We will ensure as construction begins, we are doing all we can to mitigate and minimise disruption.”
The council conducted a six-week public consultation late last year and received 246 responses.
Phased works and past tensions
Phase one will focus on the stretch between Chepstow Villas and Westbourne Grove, including two junctions with Denbigh Terrace. Phase two will cover improvements between Westbourne Grove and Elgin Crescent.
The redesign follows a legal challenge last year over the installation of anti-terror barriers. The bollards were introduced in July following counter-terrorism guidance from the Metropolitan Police.
Residents argued that the barriers had been installed without adequate consultation and claimed they had led to frequent minor collisions. In October, Patrick Somers, who was leading the legal action, told councillors that while he supported safety measures, he believed residents were being “trapped” in their homes for extended periods.
Mr Thalassites said the authority had previously consulted on the use of safety barriers as part of its wider Strengthening Portobello project.
With construction due to begin in 2027, the council says it will work to limit disruption while reshaping one of west London’s most recognisable streets.
For dedicated borough reporting, follow EyeOnLondon Kensington & Chelsea for planning decisions, community debates and the stories shaping west London.
Follow us on:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest videos and updates!
We value your thoughts! Share your feedback and help us make EyeOnLondon even better!


