Trending Now
London News News

Evening traffic surge prompts calls to extend Congestion Charge hours

  • February 19, 2026
  • 4 min read
Evening traffic surge prompts calls to extend Congestion Charge hours

Calls to extend Congestion Charge hours intensified this week after campaigners said traffic entering central London rose sharply once the charge ended at 18:00.

The claim centres on traffic levels in the hour immediately after the charge ends on weekdays. Campaign group Clean Cities said vehicle entries into the zone rose sharply once the £18 daily fee no longer applied, arguing that the current 18:00 cut-off undermines efforts to manage congestion and air quality.

More London news from EyeOnLondon

Breaking news, City policy and transport reporting across London and beyond.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

What police have confirmed so far, what remains unclear, and what happens next in the investigation.

Read the full report

Pedicabs to be regulated by TfL

New rules are expected to cover licensing, standards and enforcement for pedicabs operating in central London.

Read the full report

TfL advert banned by regulator

The advertising watchdog ruled that a shortened safety clip risked reinforcing a harmful stereotype when viewed alone.

Read the full report

According to data compiled from Transport for London figures and freedom of information requests, there were 6,170 vehicle entries between 18:00 and 19:00 during a typical week, compared with 3,955 between 08:00 and 09:00. The group said this represented an increase of more than 50 per cent once charging hours ended.

Under the present system, drivers must pay to travel within the central London zone between 07:00 and 18:00 on weekdays and from 12:00 to 18:00 at weekends and on bank holidays. The fee is £18 if paid on the day or in advance, rising to £21 if settled by midnight on the third day after travel. Purely battery-powered electric vehicles receive a 25 per cent discount through Auto Pay.

Pressure to revisit 2022 decision

Operating hours were shortened from 22:00 to 18:00 in February 2022. Clean Cities argues that the change has coincided with increased evening traffic and says reinstating later hours would better reflect current travel patterns.

Oliver Lord, UK head of Clean Cities, said central London became “the Wild West” after 18:00, with fewer controls in place and no financial disincentive for private car use.

TfL response

Transport for London said it had no plans to amend the operating hours. A spokesperson said decisions on the charging period had been based on evolving weekday travel trends and the need to support the evening economy, including shift workers and those transporting heavy goods.

Thomas Turell, a Conservative member of the London Assembly, opposed extending the charge, describing it as “a blunt instrument”. He said greater investment in infrastructure would do more to encourage cleaner vehicles than further levies on motorists.

The debate highlights a broader tension in the capital between economic activity in the West End and environmental targets aimed at reducing congestion and emissions.

Do you think Congestion Charge hours should extend into the evening? Share your view and follow EyeOnLondon for independent reporting on transport and policy across the capital.

Follow us on:

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest videos and updates!

YouTube

We value your thoughts! Share your feedback and help us make EyeOnLondon even better!

About Author

Editor

Emma’s journey to launching EyeOnLondon began with her move into London’s literary scene, thanks to her background in the Humanities, Communications and Media. After mingling with the city's creative elite, she moved on to editing and consultancy roles, eventually earning the title of Freeman of the City of London. Not one to settle, Emma launched EyeOnLondon in 2021 and is now leading its stylish leap into the digital world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *